SuperCARD, HyperCARD

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Tue Apr 9 15:33:01 EDT 2002

on 4/9/02 7:59 AM, Ken Ray at kray at sonsothunder.com wrote:

> HyperCard is dead (AFAIK)
----------
Pardon me, Ken, but I think this is hardly a fair statement to make. Apple
still sells the software which includes mind-blowing integrated QT support,
for $99 U.S. The HC list still has many hundreds of members, the iHug and
eHug groups are very active. The app is being used worldwide by companies
such as Renault (uses it for their parts DB). I agree, it falls behind in
some things, but it also has a much easier-to-use interface, has a number of
well-known comprehensive reference books (I own five of them), and, although
it doesn't have MC/Rev's native color (and many other wonderful things which
require XCMD's in HC) or cross platform ability, it is rock stable by
comparison. Over the years, there have been, and continue to be, a number of
look alike xCard RAD environments, but I sincerely believe _none_ of them
would exist if there had never been a Bill Atkinson (and crew) or a
HyperCard.

I wouldn't write it off completely. It is still arguably the easiest to use,
most stable RAD tool in the world. It is _not_ legacy software yet.

But I think Rev is a wonderful project, and I pray Kevin and crew continue
to refine it. Just having Jeanne aboard is a big asset. There are things I
personally have some frustrating problems with: UI logic and layout (you can
write your own if you want), speed, documentation support, stability, but
these have mostly to do with being cross-platform, and are fixable over
time.

Best regards,
Ken N.