Speed of 'sliding a field' - PASTE BUG!

Geoff Canyon gcanyon at inspiredlogic.com
Thu Apr 4 01:58:01 EST 2002

At 12:35 AM +0100 4/4/02, Ian Summerfield wrote:
>Then I wondered what would happen if I put a LOT of text in the field.  I
>typed:
>
>"This is a test".
>
>I selected all in the field and paste, paste, paste, about 10 times.

Note that at this point, the field contains 14 + 14 * 10 = 154 characters.

>Select
>all again, paste paste paste again.

140 + 140*3 = 560 characters

>Repeated this about 3 times,

560 + 560*3 = 2240
2240 + 2240*3 = 8960
8960 + 8960*3 = 35840

all the
>time I'm pasting larger and larger amounts of data,  it soon grows.  After
>very little time Revolution Unexpectedly quits.

Do it three more times and you're up to 2 megabytes. Change the number of times you pasted along the way, and you could easily have been trying to copy a gigabyte, although I doubt you could have gotten that far. I don't think there is an absolute limit, but in a practical sense you probably won't want to copy more than a few hundred K.

It seems Revolution has a

--

regards,

Geoff Canyon