XCMD ? Plugins? what?...

Greg Saylor GSaylor at ATP.com
Tue Apr 2 05:09:01 EST 2002

Hello,

I hope my emails are finally not HTML formatted....   If they are it might
be because I am using a web client as I write this -- so I apologize ahead
of time....

Anyways, I have been looking for a good cross-platofrm database solution
that works with Revolution (mostly I am worried about the Mac and Windows
piece, with UNIX there are a lot more options it would seem)....

What I came across was this Valentina database, which looks really
compelling to me.. But, for the life of me I have no clue what to do with
what I have downloaded .. How to even install it....  Is it a plugin?.. What
is the difference between a plugin and a xcmd (or a vxcmd for that
matter?)...  it was it can use two api's.. The vxcmd api or the REVDB api...

I have a feeling that if I could just get this thing installed and get the
samples to work I might be able to figure it out, but no matter where I
stick this file called "Valentina Engine" it just doesn't seem to do
anything different.. When I go to the plugins editor of Revolution all I see
is "revexamples.rev" ...  I have tried to get this working on Windows, Mac
OS-X, and OS-9.. And iI just can't make any sense out of it.....

Am I missing something in the documentation because it seems like everyone
must know how to install this stuff because no matter how many sites I have
visited not one of them has any sort of installation instructions....  It's
really quite confusing to me.. ;-(

I feel compelled to offer up some constructive criticism: I definately have
to say that the documentation in Revolution/MetaCard seems really lacking...
There should be some guidelines for 3rd party developers to write a simple
text file or something (anything!) with installation instructions at the
very least....  If Revolution is going to compete with Visual Basic (which
it seems fully capable of doing) then this documentation problem really
needs some solving....  I'd even be willing to do it, but unfortunately I
can't make anything work... It's like everytime I need to do something I
have to email this list server for an answer -- granted the responses I've
gotten are absolutely phenomenal but it does seem like there are some very
critical pieces of information which are missing.. It took me less time to
install Oracle for my first time then it did to figure out how to deal with
this plugin/xmcmd/cxmcsd/vxcmd/xcmd/whatever it is....  PERL modules seem
almost a breeze to compile and install compared to this... Am I just
thinking about all of this the wrong way or is there a problem here?....

- Greg