[Use-revolution] Re: Re post - Masking graphics

Scott Raney raney at metacard.com
Tue Nov 27 14:19:01 EST 2001

On Mon, 26 Nov 2001 Scott Rossi <scott at tactilemedia.com> wrote:

> Recently, Ian Bridges wrote:
>
> > is there a way to clip a picture to a region eg a polygon,
> > without assembling an array of masking graphics?
>
> > I would like to be able to change the shape of the mask/clip region and the
> > region of the underlying picture that is displayed with script control
>
> The only way I'm aware of will allow rectangular clips only: display your
> source image in a group or a button, and then change the group's or button's
> rect.  I believe there's no built-in way to create oval or irregular masks.

Correct, but there is another way to do this, set the backPattern of a
filled graphic object.  Note that the image repeats if your graphic is
larger than the image, and that there are restrictions on the possible
sizes of the image (e.g., on the Mac it has to be a power of 2 in both
width and height and must be less than 64K bytes total).  But at least
on NT/2000/XP and UNIX systems you can do a lot with this feature.
  Regards,
    Scott