Metacard 4

Richmond Mathewson richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 12:06:58 CDT 2009

J. Landman Gay wrote:
> Wilhelm Sanke wrote:
>> This may have been already noticed here, I just want to make sure:
>>
>> The Rev "Standalone" files - necessary to build standalones - of
>> versions 4 dp3 and dp4 do not work with the Metacard Standalone
>> Builder. Version 3.5 does.
>
> Mark Waddingham mentioned to me some time ago that the MC SB will need
> rewriting. I sent him a copy of the current MC builder script and he
> said it wouldn't be hard to rewrite -- but that's the last I heard.

Um, why do I have the feeling that rewriting the MC SB is not on the top
of Mark Waddingham's to-do list?

After all, Mark's bread and cheese is paid for by RunRev sales; an MC
license is a 'free' bit that can come
along with a RunRev license, and I really wonder how many people out
there are buying new versions
of RunRev just so they can get their hands on a newer version of MC. MC
is rapidly becoming  an interface
that is so crude it is increasingly difficult to access the burgeoning
new features being introduced into
the RunRev engine.

If this has to be done (and I stand by my previous comments) it will
have to be done by somebody else.

Having said that, seemingly hypocritically, I will request an MC license
number when the final version of
RunRev 4 comes out; even if only to fiddle around with MC's GUI (if I
can find the time). After all, the
RunRev UI is not to everyone's taste and I have found that 'hacking' it
is rather time consuming.

The only reason I can see for continuing having MC is that in some ways
it is easier to develop a new GUI
on top of than RunRev.