Where do Command-C and Command-V get handled?

David Epstein dfepstein at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 11:43:08 CST 2008

In my own customized defaultMenuBar, I have included an Edit menu with my
own copy and paste commands, with command-C and command-V equivalents
defined using the "/" convention.

When those commands are chosen from the menu, my copy and paste scripts are
executed as expected.  But when I use the command-key equivalents, my
scripts are not executed, and some standard copy and paste behavior takes
place instead.

I can see why when Metacard's own menu is open as a palette there could be
some ambiguity about which command-key equivalents have priority.  But this
problem occurs even when Metacard's own menu is not open.  And when I press
command-C, my own menubar's "Edit" button flashes, as if to confirm that the
keypress has triggered the action that my menubar's script commands.

What is governing this behavior, and how can I get my own scripts to be
called when the command-key combinations are used?

Many thanks.

David Epstein

(MC2.5 on Mac OSX 10.4.)