Strange Umlaut problem with MC & "revOpenDatabase"?

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Fri Aug 22 07:32:13 CDT 2008

Hi all,

as the subject says, I experience some strange errors when using
"revOpenDatabase" in MetaCard.
All externals are correctly installed and do work!
revdb.bundle
dbsqlite.bundle
dbmysql.bundle

I am currently through the "SQL Lite sampler.rev".
Works great in Rev and MC.

But when I want to open/create a database in a folder with Umlauts in
its name, the scripts in that stack
fail when run in MC but work when run in Rev!???

I use:
   put revopendatabase("sqlite","/Applications/MetaCard X/iDual/sql
für KLaus/bankleitzahlen.db",,,,,,) into db_conn
   ### sql FÜR Klaus

works fine in Rev, but in MC I get (SAME stack!):
Database Error: Unable to open the database file

When I remove the umlaut/rename that folder, all is fine:
   put revopendatabase("sqlite","/Applications/MetaCard X/iDual/sql
fuer KLaus/bankleitzahlen.db",,,,,,) into db_conn
  ### sql FUER Klaus

I currently workaround this by setting the directory first:
   put the folder into old_dir
   set the folder to "/Applications/MetaCard X/iDual/sql für KLaus/"
   put revopendatabase("sqlite","bankleitzahlen.db",,,,,,) into db_conn
   set the folder to old_dir

No problems in that case!!!

Is there anything that I am overlooking/missing?
Any hints are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de