The Aborted Plunge (Metacard to Revolution)

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat May 26 18:22:18 CDT 2007

Shari wrote:
> Long story short, I am now wondering
> if it did indeed delete the right Answer etc. stacks, from my project
> rather than Rev.  But Rev launches, so ?  Is there any way that
> somewhere in the stack, Rev found a remembered path in my stack to the
> MC GUI stacks, and deleted from there?

No, not likely. Remember, Rev uses the same engine as MC. If you tell it
to delete a stack, it looks in the currently open stacks and tries to
find it. If you provide a long file name, it will look there.

> Because when I tried to create MC
> 2.8.1, it (Metacard itself) wouldn't launch either, and threw up an
> error about damaged or missing components.....

What did the error message say exactly? This sounds like a different
issue, related to moving the engine into the MC IDE.

> Yes, there are several different password protected stacks involved.
> Some are embedded in the standalone, others reside outside the
> standalone.  The standalone launches these stacks or gets data from them
> during launch. If it cannot access these stacks, then no, the project
> wouldn't launch.  I remember that I couldn't find the Passkey button to
> edit the scripts, and I figured it just got moved someplace else in
> Rev.  That frustrated, too :-)

Opening password protected stacks should work fine, it's Rev's search
feature that can't always work with protected stacks, and a few other
things will fail too (though I can't recall what they are right now, I
never protect my stacks in the IDE.)

To set a password, look in the standalone settings in the Stacks pane,
at the bottom right. Tick the checkbox "Encrypt with password" and type
in the password you want to use. It will be applied to whatever stack is
selected in the list directly above. You need to repeat for each stack
in the list you want to protect.

> Does the Rev standalone builder allow you to set different passwords for
> different stacks which are embedded?  What about stacks that are not
> embedded?  Relegated to the message box?

Each stack can have its own password. I always set passwords on
non-embedded stacks via message box, same as in MC.

> I had taken all of them out, everything but my own created embeds. Saved
> and quit.  Relaunched.  And it wouldn't even launch.  Maybe at that
> point it was the password issue.

Doubtful, protected stacks should function normally except that "copy"
commands will throw an error and exit. But there is something else going
on, the challenge is to find out what. If it were my stack, I'd set a
breakpoint as early in the script as possible (preOpenStack or
openStack) and step through line by line until I could see what is
erroring. "Won't launch" isn't enough info; does the stack open at all?
Or does it open and then do the auto-quit you mentioned? Or maybe the
main stack launches, auto-hides as planned, and then the substack
doesn't open? Do you get any error messages, and if so, what are they?
If MC is doing the same thing, it is at least consistent.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com