metacard IDE devotees

John Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Mon Jun 4 21:06:43 CDT 2007

The recent discussion over one user's less than happy switch to the
Rev IDE from that of Metacard leads me to add my little bit of
history.  I have tried and tried the Rev IDE, and even beta-tested
for the original (see the lengthy thank-you list in Rev), and I have
praised Runtime Revolution to all and sundry, such that many if not
all of my colleagues now own licences, as do all of my ex-students
(who use nothing else).  But, I use the MC IDE, even when they,
especially my students, do not.  They, especially my students,
consider me to be an IDE curmudgeon, and they may be right, but I
just don't ``grok'' the Rev interface.  Mind you, I complained
bitterly about the original MC IDE when it didn't adhere strictly to
the HC interface, so you can see my general take on things (indeed,
on the few occasions when I do still whip something up in HC---it is
like coming home: perfect in every way, except oddly smaller).  I
also purchased at least one of the other IDEs, and had the same
feeling of too much sh..., er, too many windows and palettes and
menus and clicks and who knows what for little gain.

So, for Klaus and Richard and all the other devotees and maintainers
of the MC IDE, I thank you, thank you, thank you.

See <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>

-Dr. John R. Vokey