Test stack "speed of imagedata processing and paintcompression"

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Sun Jun 3 13:22:49 CDT 2007

I have submitted a bug report to the "Revolution Quality Control Center"
(what a modern neoliberal term) to which number 5113 was assigned.

I post the report to this list, too, because those Metacard users that
intend to make a transition to the Revolution IDE may run into
unexpected difficulties when they deal with imagedata processing in
their stacks.

The default setting for the paintcompression in all engines is RLE. The
Revolution IDE changes that setting to PNG, which is then transferred
even  into Rev standalones via an encorporated script.
Rev users would be well advised to set the paintcompression to RLE (or
at least to JPEG, which is only slightly slower) in their openstack
handlers.

Here is the text of my report:

"There is a test stack with test and result pages that demonstrate the
reported effects (you need of course to launch the stack with the
different engines).

 <http://www.sanke.org/Software/TestStackPaintcompression.zip>

Because of the included test images and a possible "full-screen" view
the stack has a zipped size of 14 MB. I stripped my emerging Photo Tool
down to four filters and three images, the first with 5 different sizes,
the other two with a size of 2048x1536.
 Derek Bump's "convolve.dll" is included.

 Apart from the individual structure of the respective script, the speed
of imagedata processing depends on two additional factors:
- to some extent on the engine version (and IDE),
- as a more important factor on the paintcompression.

The fastest engine is version 2.6.1 (Metacard 2.6.6). The speed
difference to engine version 2.8.1 - while using the same
paintcompression - can reach 33% (compare the results for the
"scripted-matrix-version filter").

Concerning the factor paintcompression, the most extreme results of the
tests demonstrate that using PNG paintcompression can be up to *twelve
times* slower than wih RLE.
The speed difference extends to 400% when looking at the results for
applying the DLL, PNG paintcompression is here four times slower than
RLE, JPEG is somewhat slower than RLE.
One test concerned the retrieval of image contents - size 2046x1536 -
from imagedata and compressed imagedata stored in custom properties.
With the paintcompression set to PNG, image retrieval is up to twelve
times slower than with RLE. In this case, there seem to be only minor
engine influences. "

An addendum I sent today to the improve list:

"Contrary to the fact that PNG paintcompression may slow down the speed
of imagedata processing considerably, "text-of-image" data are
apparently not affected, as you can see when you use button "sample
image - five sizes" of the test stack, which stores the image contents
as text-of -image data."

--Wilhelm Sanke
 <http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>