Which port does LibUrl use

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Fri Jan 12 19:25:42 CST 2007

On 12 Jan 2007, at 20:36, Ray Horsley wrote:

> Greetings two days in a row!
>

> Many of my clients have a variety of security systems or settings
> in place which block LibUrl's calls to put and get from our remote
> server.  From time to time I get asked whether my standalone uses
> port 80 or not.  I've also been asked if it could use http protocol
> instead of ftp (which is what I believe LibUrl is using).

Ray, the protocol that libUrl uses depends on the url you supply.
(i.e. does the url  start with "http://" or "ftp://"?)

You can use "get url" with  either http or ftp. "put ... into
url ..." is normally only used with an ftp url. To send data to an
http url, use "post ... to url ..."

Unless you specify otherwise, standard ports are used. (80 for http
and 21 for ftp.)

It's possible that your clients are using some kind of proxy server
through which calls to the remote server have to be routed. You can
set the httpProxy property for http urls to route calls through the
proxy. If they are using a proxy server, you'll need to get the proxy
details from your client and then set it in your program somewhere.
For example, if the proxy server has an address of 10.0.0.128 on port
8080, you would do this:

set the httpProxy to "10.0.0.128:8080"

Cheers
Dave