File Browser

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Mon Apr 23 13:18:32 CDT 2007

Richard Gaskin wrote:

>"The good news is that it may be even easier to just make
one from
scratch.  It's just a field with a couple buttons, and its
scripts may
possibly depend on other parts of the MC IDE. "

Being bloody-minded and not listening to my betters I
messed around with the File Selector for a couple of hours:
silly really.

Richard is quite right - and I don't quite understand all
the hoo-ha going on on the RR use-list about filepaths: I
am well on my way to reinventing the wheel with a modest
file-browser - no rocket science here.

I think I might take "HYPED" to bits and learn a few
things:

Writing a file browser from scratch may not be rocket science, but in my own experience it is not as simple as many people (who have never done it) often paint it to be. If it could be done by simply capturing the HD's folders and subfolders into a long list to begin with, there would be no problem. Technically, this is possible, but hopelessly slow. You need a bit of rocket science in order to speed it up.

My own (possibly incompetent) attempts exist at:
http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/stacks.htm

The latest "pretty" version shown there is imperfect. I have done the corrections (not yet included in the beta version available for download at the above page), but I am waiting for a last bug fix on the part of Rev in order to launch a totally correct ('stable") version for Linux. This bug was reported on the UR-List as "Another 2.6.1 Linux bug to confirm ASAP" and is now under Bugzilla as #4725 "folders function sometimes returns files".

Leaving aside my limitations as a programmer, if you want to see some of the contortions I had to go through in coding the original (ugly) version, there is a link at the top of the "pretty" version page cited above. Sorry if the coding is not awfully well presented (i.e. is a bit messy).

Regards,
Bob