Speed differences between MC and Rev

Rob rob.tucker at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 22:00:48 CDT 2006

Hi all,

I have suddenly felt the urge to un-lurk myself  :).

As the licensing of Revolution is now in the engine allowing full use of MC
with the Studio version of Rev I am ready to purchase and I am interested in
this speed difference issue.

So I decided to have a bit of a look.

First I created an empty stack (no controls or anything) in Rev then I made
2 standalones,
one with the Rev builder and one with MC, these I then compared with a hex
editor.

Result: The Rev version has about 45k more of scripts in it including 3
references to stack "Home" (MC version has none).

It would appear that Rev is including scripts that are not actually needed,
how much this would effect speed is debateable though
especially when run on modern hardware. Having conducted some rudimentry
comparisons on my machine
(AMD 4200+ x2, 1gb DDR400, Win XP 32bit) using a variety of stacks
(including "ImageData Toolkit")
I notice no difference in the execution speed.

the size difference between the Rev and MC versions of the ImageData Toolkit
that I made is considerably larger than between the two empty test
standalones (128k as opposed to 45k),
speed does not appear to be affected.

Rob Tucker
rob.tucker at gmail.com