Speed differences between MC and Rev and the origin of the English language

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Fri Sep 22 16:13:38 CDT 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> It might be helpful to de-standalone it to take a look at exactly
> what's been included.
>
> Once upon a time someone posted the info needed to strip the
> executable from the stack -- anyone make a utility for that?

In my own collected archives I found this script:

"on mouseUp
  answer file "Standalone"
  if it is "cancel" then exit to top
  put url ("binfile:"&it) into tStack
  repeat forever
    -- there's more than one stackfile in there which isinteresting
    put offset("#!/bin/sh",char 10 to -1 of tStack) into tOff
    if tOff = 0 then exit repeat
    put char tOff+9 to -1 of tStack into tStack
  end repeat
  ask file "Stack"
  if it is "cancel" then exit to top
   set the fileType to "RevoRSTK"
  put tStack into url ("binfile:"&it)
  answer "conversion finished" with "OK"
end mouseUp"

This, however, (on Windows) provides me with an extracted stack that is
flagged as "corrupted", even if I comment out the line about the
filetype which is probably meant only for MacOS(?)

> A simpler diagnostic might be to have your app spit out a list of
> frontScripts, backScripts, and libraries, something like this:
>
> on LogScripts
>   put the frontScripts &cr& the stacksInUse &cr& the backScripts \
>     in url ("file:ScriptList.txt")
> end LogScripts

Applying this I get 13 front and back scripts running in the stack and
nothing of this in the standalone (in the standalone only my script
library "clib" and the calling button for listing the back and
frontscripts are listed).

When I remove these backscripts and frontscripts in the stack no change
of the slower Rev-IDE speed is effected. So the slower performance in
Rev must be caused by other scripts.-

Unfortunately I cannot follow your other suggestions at the moment
(startloggingMessages etc.) because I really need to concentrate on
other things at the moment (and not only, but also, because of that
voluminous doctoral dissertation on my desk).

I will continue the discussion in about a week and thank all of you in
the meantime for your interest in this thread.

Best regards,

Wilhelm Sanke