Speed differences between MC and Rev and the origin of the English language

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Fri Sep 22 11:22:06 CDT 2006

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> That leaves us with the possibility that Rev is including some of its
> scripts even when you tell it not to.
>
> When you pour through the standalone with a raw editor do you see any
> Rev scripts in there?

and Jacqueline had confirmed in the meantime:

> I believe the revGeneral library is always included.

Yes, I do see that in the Windows standalone built with Rev 2.7.3 -gm1.

Apart from the parts of my own scripts that are unprotected I see a lot
of extra code, some of which may belong to CRevGeneral, but other
scripts certainly could not belong there, like:

"set the mainStack of the topStack to "Home"
modal "Stack Properties"
if it is not empty then
set the cursor to watch
topLevel it
end ifgo to prev card ùA ûA ÖA üA ïA‘? AB B" etc.

The above is definitely not *my* code - and why should anybody refer to
stack "home" in a standalone?

Other functions seem to belong to CRevGeneral like

- "function revPoints pGraphic"

- "function revApplescriptFull pfunction,pSrc,pDest"

Why should this be included in a Windows standalone?

- "on revMail pTo, pCC, pSubject, pBody"

- "setProp cREVGeneral[pWhichProp] pWhichProfile
put the long id of the target into tTarget
put tTarget into tTargetLongID
if pWhichProp is not "profile" and pWhichProp is not "inLineImages" and
pWhichProp is not "virtualWidth" and pWhichProp is not "virtualHeight"
and pWhichProp is not "breakPoints" then pass cREVGeneral"
....etc.

Maybe the last example could be one of the culprits that slow down
execution (?)

and such as

"on mouseDoubleUp pButtonNo, pTarget
--not been handled
--pTarget set in suppress messages frontscript
if pTarget is empty
then put the long id of the target into pTarget
put revTargetStack(pTarget) into tStack
put the defaultStack into tDefaultStack
set the defaultStack to tStack
if the mode of stack tStack is not 0