Speed differences between MC and Rev and the origin of the English language

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Fri Sep 22 10:10:05 CDT 2006

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Dave Cragg <dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk>, wrote:

> The people of Edinburgh and the area to the south east did fight with
> the Angles of Northumbria. But these were neither Picts nor Scots.
> They were Britons who spoke what today would be recognised as Welsh.
> Interestingly, these battles are more remembered in Welsh history
> than in Scottish history. (Also, some people think Arthur was the
> leader of a tribe of Scottish Britons, and that he fought against
> both Angles and Picts.) Eventually, the Angles dominated south east
> Scotland and the Scots and Picts dominated the remainder of the
> country. The use of "Welsh" in Scotland died out.

The database I based my judgment on was small, and I had warned you that
only about 99% of my story was true. There were so many different
kingdoms or territories governed by warlords at that time that one can
easily become confused.

But I think the general picture is true.

> It is rumoured that there are many missing libraries of that period,
> thought to be hidden in southern Scotland somewhere. It may be that
> one of these libraries has got buried in the Rev IDE. (Some of those
> scripts look like Welsh to me.)
>
> I also read somehwere that the Romans introduced the bagpipes to
> Scotland, but left before they taught people how to tune them.
>
> Cheers
> Dave

It could well be that the Romans instroduced the instrument to Scotland,
but did not particularly like the sounds coming out of it.
A quote from Wikipedia:
"Nero is reported to have said he would play them (bagpipe is plural in
Latin) in public as a penance for not winning a poetry contest".-

In case my comments were felt to be offensive, I apologize to the
Scottish branch of my family, who are however living more near Glasgow.

Cheers,

Wilhelm