CPU matters (was Re: Moving to MC 2.7)

FlexibleLearning at aol.com FlexibleLearning at aol.com
Sun Oct 22 13:13:28 CDT 2006

> standalone. Some of my stacks are "image intensive" and this 200 -  1000
> millisecond speed difference that Wilhelm discovered would  matter.

I'm sure that the cumulative effects of a slower routine will add up, but
the CPU has a greater effect by orders of magnitude. For example, my now aging
G4 466MHz/320Mb seems crashingly slow compared to my XP Athlon 3400
4GHz/512MB.  Yes, obviously we optimize a routine's performance, but a couple of ticks
here  or there is hardly going to register on the speed scale when using a
go-faster  computer. With RAM and cycles improving and prices dropping, the trend
seems to  be to write around things rather optimize them. Otherwise why does
MSWord now  need a CD install when a BBC 'B' used a floppy for a word
processor? There  seems little point in saving milliseconds when the end-user should
simply  get a bigger, better and cheaper machine.

Flame war anyone?

:-))

/H