Speed differences between MC and Rev

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Sun Oct 8 11:48:40 CDT 2006

I resend my post of last Friday, hoping the server is up again:
========================

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 Richard Gaskin wrote:

>> I notice no difference in the execution speed.
>

> So far this is consistent with all data except Wilhelm's. Neither
> logically nor empirically have we yet found a way that simply adding a
> library can affect execution speed.
>
> We'll have to wait for Wilhelm to provide more data.
>
> (snip)
>
> If instead there does seem to be some difference in the way
> standalones are made (though after building my own standalone maker I
> can honestly report that I can't imagine what that could be) it's also
> worthwhile determining where the performance goes.
>
> Ideally Wilhelm will be able to come up with a stack that presents an
> isolated recipe for this problem. It's my understanding that at the
> moment the tests are being run within a very complex collection of
> scripts, making it difficult to produce a generalized recipe for
> others to run.
>
> Without such an isolated example of this reported issue, I can't think
> of any way it could be reasonably addressed further beyond what's
> already be done.
>
> If he's able to deliver an isolated example I'm sure RunRev will jump
> at the chance to optimize based on it reveals.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin

Back again to resume the discussion.

I have produced this isolated example. Apart from the one-line script of
the "reset" button, it contains only a 13-line script of the test button
"duplicate colors".

Only the MC cursors stack is included as a substack, otherwise nothing
is included, not even an "answer dialog".

The performance differences are as reported about 600 milliseconds
between MC and Rev on a Windows 2 GHz machine, tested with Metacard and
Rev using the same 2.7.3 engine. No differences come up for the stacks
compared with standalones.

A test with 2.7.4 today shows an overall performance improvement for
both IDEs of about 200 milliseconds, but the speed difference between MC
and Rev of now about 500 milliseconds remains.
Stack and standalone with MC show an identical performance - around 1550
and always below 1600 milliseconds. For Rev - 1935 to 2083 milliseconds
for the standalone  - there is an additional difference between
standalone and stack of 100 milliseconds, the stack running in the IDE
with a peak of 2165 milliseconds being the slower one.

You can download the test stack from here (2 MB because of the embedded
picture and the compressed imagedata to enable reset):

<http:/www.sanke.org/Software/mc-rev_speed_test.rev>

or type

go URL "http:/www.sanke.org/Software/mc-rev_speed_test.rev"
in your message box.