New Variable Watcher

Ray Horsley ray at linkitonline.com
Wed Oct 4 07:19:45 CDT 2006

Thanks, Ken, for your attention regarding the VW.  Generally
speaking, the inherently close relationship between the VW and the
Script Editor [SE] beckon several questions.  Typically throughout my
day I open the SE without opening the VW and write my scripts.  I
then run them with the debugger on, in which case I nearly always
want the VW open.  I assume a lot of us work this way but I'm not
sure since I never stand over anybody's shoulder and look.  But if my
assumption is correct I think the following short list would greatly
increase productivity and eliminate a lot of repetitive chores:

1)  When the SE opens in debug mode the VW should automatically open
         -- or at least have a keyboard shortcut to open it
2)  When closing the SE the VW should also close
        -- a keyboard shortcut to close here would also be nice
3)  Keyboard shortcuts typed after clicking in the VW should pass
through to the SE

The last one of these would really be a welcome addition since it can
be quite exasperating to click somewhere in the VW during debugging,
then forget to click in the SE and instead just type a keyboard
shortcut to step to the next line of script.  The whole script runs
and blows all the work you just did positioning windows and so forth
to debug.  This area also brings up the question, why does the
command-M shortcut to step through a script never work in the out-of-
the-box McTools.mc stack?  I always have to change this to command-D
(easier to do with the left hand) and then trap for it in both the VW
as well as the SE.

On a note of appreciation, I really like the new VW's ability to
remember not only where I left it on screen, but also the height of
the fields within it.  I use to add my own handlers for this, too.

Thanks,

Ray Horsley
Developer, LinkIt! Software