Reporting Metacard Bugs

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Wed May 10 21:52:35 CDT 2006

Thank you all very much for what was really a very warm welcome to the
List. I hope that my reports of Metacard's behaviour under Ubuntu Linux
will contribute towards its continuing development. As a non-techie, I
can perhaps provide a view of things that normally escape the experts.

I am relieved to know that it is a small group and that I am not likely
to be bothered by the formalities (and distortions in my opinion) of the
dreaded Bugzilla. And if I make a mistake, I can easily and directly
correct it, i.e. through this very List.

The tips you have given me are great. Thank you.

When I first ran the IDE under Ubuntu and tried messing around with the
creation of a stack and a few widgets, some peculiar things happened.
For example, when I minimized the stack window I was working on, the
icon for it didn't appear in the task bar at the bottom of the screen,
and there was nothing I could discover to get it back again. Whatever I
minimized, only a single icon representing the Menu Bar appeared at the
bottom of the screen, which meant that I had to abandon my project and
re-load the IDE. This happened every time. However, at this moment (a
day later) I have Metacard loaded and a new project started, and the
situation is totally correct, i.e. an icon for every window appears in
the task bar at the bottom of the screen, and I can minimize/restore
with no trouble. What's the difference between today and yesterday?
Well, I believe that yesterday I did not re-start Linux after using
Metacard for the first time. Today, since I turned the computer off last
night, the situation is different in this respect. However, I wouldn't
like to affirm that the old Microsoft trick of getting out of the car
and then getting back in again cures the problem. Nor am I in the
position where I can do something for the first time twice! All I can
say at this moment is that I will look out for the phenomenon and let
you know if it happens again.

Ah! It just has! I went to the computer and minimized the main stack
window. The only icon appearing in the task bar at the bottom of the
screen now is that of the Menu Bar. Everything else has disappeared. And
if I maximize it, that's the only thing I get back. That's not what it
did 10 minutes ago! Nor does the use of ALT+TAB to switch between
applications help at all. It shows only the Menu bar. The only thing I
can do now is to try to discover under what exact circumstances it
happens...

The situation (today) about managing to close the Code Editor window via
the File menu might also have been a temporary lapse, but it could also
be the lapse of a blind old man. I found the "Apply Script" option in
the File menu, so why didn't I also see "Close Script"? I remember
looking very carefully at the options on more than one occasion, and I
could have sworn that "Close Script" was not there. However, I would be
more prepared to believe that the explanation on this occasion was
psychological rather than physical, since "Close" appears before "Apply"
on the list and not vice-versa as perhaps would be more conventional.
Anyway, I'll let you know if the "Close Script" menu item disappears
ever again.

What perhaps needs to be remembered in all of this is that Ubuntu Linux,
above and beyond other Linuxes, could be problematic. But don't get me
wrong, Ubuntu is perhaps the most reliable Linux produced to date, and
for this reason I have chosen it. But I do know that other programming
software developers may not find it particularly easy to deal with. For
example, Carl Sassenrath of Rebol says:

"We've just released a new REBOL/Core and REBOL/View for Ubuntu Linux
5.10 for x86. Building for Ubuntu proved to be a challenge (so much so,
that you begin to wonder if anyone actually develops software on Ubuntu,
or perhaps they use Debian to cross develop. Ubuntu is certainly not a
Linux system for developers.)"

RealBasic support Linux, but not the Ubuntu distro (yet), since their
embedded Internet browser (like altBrowser) apparently works only on
Linuxes (how many, I don't know) other than Ubuntu.

It also occurs to me that some of the difficulties of Revolution I have
experienced could also be related especially to the Ubuntu distro, but
since nobody at Rev appears to have the time or inclination to discuss
the matter, I am just left hanging in desperation, hoping for a better
situation in the next release (whenever that will be).

How all of this reflects on the future development of Metacard is for
you to judge. For my own part, I just need to find some reliable system
through which I can develop my apps, better sooner than later.

Best,
Bob