Reporting Metacard Bugs

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed May 10 12:25:38 CDT 2006

On 5/10/06 11:48 AM, "Bob Warren" <bobwarren at howsoft.com> wrote:

> As a result of Richard's recommendation on the UR-List, here I am!
> (fanfare of trumpets)

Welcome, Bob!

> In Ubuntu, regarding the coding editor, what appears at the top of the
> window is just the opposite of what appears in Windows: I have a
> minimize and restore button (which also means that I cannot even drag
> the window itself to a new position). It also means that the coding I
> have typed can never be actioned, unless I go to the "File" menu and
> choose "Apply Script". However, although the script is applied, this
> does not close the window, and so far I have not discovered how to close
> it. Very soon, the number of code editors I have open at the same time
> becomes rather unwieldly.

You should be able to use the Enter key to apply and close a script editing
window. And if you can get to the "Apply Script" menu item, there is also a
"Close Script" menu item above it - so failing using the Enter key, you
could always choose "Apply Script" and then "Close Script".

Also you might be interested in the free add-on for MetaCard called
Devolution (written by Richard himself), that includes a different script
editor that includes a handler list to the left, and buttons for Save,
Apply, and Cancel. Devolution also includes a host of very useful utilities
(like a properties palette more reminicent of VB6, etc.). If you're
interested you can download it at:

  http://www.fourthworld.com/products/devolution/index.html

Check out the screenshots for more info..

As to the way the windows are decorated, this is something that might be
worth checking on. AFAIK MetaCard uses a modeless window for script editing,
but a 'toplevel' window for basic stacks. Apparently Ubuntu's (or Linux')
implementation of modeless windows renders these controls differently, and
should defiinitely be looked at.

Unless Richard mentions otherwise, any bugs you find in the IDE should be
sent to this list. There isn't a way of voting of needing to keep track of
bug importance because all reported bugs are fixed for each release of the
IDE.

Sweet, huh?

:-)

Ken Ray