MetaCard CGI - a good place to start with

LiangTyan Fui mlist at afteroffice.com
Sun May 7 06:33:29 CDT 2006

On May 6, 2006, at 10:35 PM, Mark Schonewille wrote:

> Information on the Memebot server is very sparse, LiangTyan Fui.
> Do I need the Linux or the OS X executable, for example? And did
> you really install the normal Revolution engine as it comes with
> the distribtion, or did you download the special cgi engine that is
> provided by RunRev?

Memebot is running on Linux server.
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.memebot.com

Fedora Core to be precise.

The engine that I used was this one:
ftp://ftp.runrev.com/pub/revolution/downloads/engines/2.0/Linux.zip

The one in the cgi folder are having some problem.
The more recent engine needs fancy graphic libraries, which will
likely failed on standard Fedora Core server installation (without GUI).

Unzip the file, and you'll get a "mc" binary file.

Upload the binary file into your memebot cgi-bin folder, you have to
do that with FTP client.
Set the permission to 755 with your FTP client.

Copy the following script and save it as "echo.cgi" (the name must
ends with .cgi -- this is required by memebot server).

Make sure the echo.cgi file start with "#!mc" as the first line.

#!mc
# This MetaTalk script loops over all the environment variables
# set by the server when it runs a CGI application printing out
# its name and value.

on startup
   # loop over all of the global variables, getting name and value
   repeat for each item i in the globals
     put i &" = "& value(i) & cr after buffer
   end repeat

   put "Content-Type: text/plain"& cr
   put "Content-Length: "& length(buffer) & crlf & crlf

   write buffer to stdout

   quit
end startup

Upload the "echo.cgi" file to your memebot cgi-bin directory, place
it together with the "mc" binary. Again, make sure it has 755
permission.

Fire-up your browser, and type the following to access your echo script:
http://yourweb.memebot.com/cgi-bin/echo.cgi

Where yourweb is the name that you have created for memebot web
directory.

Good luck!