Wholematches

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Sun Mar 19 09:11:06 CST 2006

I've been encountering something rather strange lately, and I have a
theory.  This is not earthshattering, and no fix required as I know
the fix, but it is rather a puzzle and I am simply curious.

I've never had to specificy that a field was a background field in scripts.

put someText into fld someField

Always this sufficed, regardless of whether the field was cd or bg
(assuming no two fields have the same name).  I have not changed my
version of MC, yet suddenly all of my scripts are hollering, throwing
up errors, where before they were running along quietly happy.  And
the fix is to add the bg or cd.

The only theory I have is that I've started using wholeMatches a lot.

set the wholeMatches to true
if "blah" is among the items of myVariable then
    doThis
end if

I disovered that if myVariable was
"hooter,bingo,blahblah,happydog,sunshine" then looking for "blah"
would create a false positive if I wanted to search for a very
specific whole item.  So wholeMatches is my new darling child.

Would that affect a script wanting more specifics regarding whether a
field is bg or cd?

Shari
--
Mac and Windows shareware games