mc linux engine & cgi

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Mar 15 10:58:17 CST 2006

Nicolas Cueto wrote:

> One, does the binary vs ASCII
> upload warning for text files
> also apply to the mc engine
> upload? (I use my dreamweaver's
> ftp function to manage my
> web-files/folders.)

You should use an FTP program to upload, and make sure you upload the
engine as binary.

> The other idea (thanks to
> Ken Ray) was to do an
> ldd mc shell command to
> find any Apache shared libraries
> missing from my webhost's
> server. Unfortunately, all
> I get is a "signal 6" error,
> and no details whatsoever
> in my server account's errors log.

This may be because the engine has been uploaded as a text file, if that
is really the problem.

> So, as an alternative solution
> I tried downloading and then
> uploading a more recent mc
> linux engine, but, because
> I'm working on Windows,
> I'm wondering if it's actually
> possible to download, de-
> compress, and then upload
> a Linux file from a Windows
> machine.

It should be okay. I do it from a Mac all the time, and I assume it
would be the same on Windows. But if you are worried about it, you could
try uploading the engine from the 2.6.1 "engines" folder in the
distribution. That one has already been decompressed by Revolution. If
you don't have that engine available, make a small unix standalone to
force Revolution to download it.

Another problem may be that you are trying to run the wrong engine on
your server. Check with your web host provider to see what version of
unix they are running. The engine you upload must match the server OS.
Maybe they are not using Linux, and they are using some other flavor
instead.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com