Disappearing windows

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Fri Jun 23 12:54:35 CDT 2006

Jacqueline Landman Gay wrote:

On Mac OS X, using the RC-1 IDE, I have twice had all visible windows
disappear on me entirely. I accidentally double-clicked on (I think) the
message box's titlebar and everything went away. The MC icon in the dock
does not show any windows in its contextual menu, so I can't get them
back. The message box is hidden so I can't type any commands. The only
way out is to quit MetaCard. MC knows the stacks are there and asks if I
want to save them (thank god) but I have to quit and restart. When I
re-open the stack I was working on, it has been saved as invisible and I
have to issue a "show" command to see it.

This sounds like it might be related to Klaus' changes that minimize all
open windows when only one is minimized, except that none of these
stacks appear in the dock, so they aren't really minimized, they are
just invisible. I don't have time right now to track down where the
handler is and check it, but I'm hoping someone else has seen this and
knows where to change it. Klaus?

---------------------------
Thanks for the cue to bring up such issues again, Jacque. As you will
remember, in Ubuntu Linux at least - if not in all Linuxes - (using the
Rev 2.6.1 engine), if you minimize a window that should not really be
minimized (e.g. a supposedly modeless window that isn't really), the
whole kaboosh disappears forever and you need to re-load Metacard/your
project in order to continue. Richard suggested that this might
essentially be an engine problem. Whatever, it makes work in Linux
impossible. It would be nice if someone could put this right so that in
practical terms, Metacard could be used in Linux as well.

What, if anything, has been communicated to the Rev engineers about this
problem, I am not in a position to say. Nor am I in a position to guess
when the Rev 2.7 engine for Linux ("coming soon") might eventually see
the light of day.

Regards,
Bob