Metacard does not start on a second Mac

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Sat Jul 15 04:47:39 CDT 2006

Jacqueline Landman Gay wrote:

> The only thing I can think of is that Rev now requires a registered
> and licensed version on the drive before the engine will run. If you
> haven't installed Revolution and licensed it first, other IDEs may not
> work. Now technically, the MC IDE (or any other) is supposed to ask
> for your license code if it hasn't already been recorded on the
> machine, but this may not have happened for some reason. You might try
> installing Revolution, licensing it, then quitting and launching the
> MC IDE. That may fix it. It's all I can think of right now, anyway. --

Further testing revealed that the no-start problem  accompanied by a
short flashing of the Metacard icon in the dock seems to be restricted
to version 2.6.5 of the MC IDE (maybe others near to 2.6.5, too? I did
not test that).

2.5 opens on the other Mac without problems, with 2.7 I am asked to
enter my Revolution license key, and then it works of course.

Thanks for the responses.-

Today I am leaving for a  two-weeks vacation at a somewhat remote place
without internet  access, but  accompanied by my Windows laptop. I hope
to be able to add a number of  finishing touches to my Imagedate
Toolkit. In the meantime I have added and adapted  another number of
matrix  and  also scripted filters (filters not based on a matrix),
among them two "unmask" filters of really high quality (such as
Sivakatirswami wanted to use - in 3X3 and 5X5 matrix format), a "jitter"
filter, "glassy reflections" of different solutions, and  "filters" that
use selected parts of images to produce several kinds of patterns by
repeating or mirroring at the same time as an option.
.
Other features are refined color-tuning options like "increase
saturation", "decrease saturation", "produce equal color distances from
max or median" etc. or the ability to apply all matrix filters to
selected colors or color combinations only, e.g. only to red, to green
and blue etc., which leads to interesting results. Another possibility
to work with matrix filters is to use 3X3 filters in a "hybrid" fashion
as 5X5, 7X7, 9X9, and 11X11 filters: The outer cells of the 3X3 matrix
are spread accordingly to a higher level. The effects of these hybrid
matrices are different; with contour filters you will get much thicker
contour edges. These hybrid filters have a great advantage compared to
real 5X5 to 11X11 filters: applying these filters is as fast as with 3X3
filters, meaning that on my 2 GHz computer the execution time will be
around 7 seconds in the MC IDE (you cannot apply the DLL of Chipp
Walters here, the hybrid solutions have to be entirely scripted) and
about 10 seconds in the Rev IDE (same difference holds for MC and Rev
standalones), whereas a real "full" 5X5 matrix would need about 25
seconds to execute.
There are also "half-tone" filters, i.e. the possibility to produce
half-tone images by a combination of filters.

For the  "full" 3X3 and 5X5 matrix you can either produce and try out
new filters using a random function (that also calculates the correct
"division" factor for maintaining more or less the origonal color
balance) or to create or change new filters manually  by entering values
into the cells of the matrix. These new filters can be given a name and
stored ( and deleted) as user-defined filters for subsequent use.--

Kind regards