Metacard does not start on a second Mac

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Fri Jul 14 02:52:33 CDT 2006

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Wilhelm Sanke wrote:
>
>     I tried to transfer the Metacard IDE and a stack from my G4
> Powerbook to a second, but very much faster G4 Powerbook to see the
> speed differences for scripts in the stack. Both Powerbooks run with
> OS 10.3.9. I used a USB-stick to put the files on the other computer.
>
>     When I start Metacard on the second Mac, which had neither
> Metacard nor Revolution installed before, something flashes and the
> Metacard icon briefly appears in the dock, but it is not started.
> Clicking on the accompanying file after that results also in nothing.
>
>     What am I missing? Has this maybe to do with administrator rights
> for installing new programs? And how could I overcome that?
>
> This is the same behavior that is occuring when trying to build a UB
> standalone, but if you copied the PPC version it should work.
>
> Were you logged in as an administrator when you copied the app? That
> is all that should be required.
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay

The faster G4 is configured to automatically boot with the administrator
keyword, meaning that something else must be required to launch the MC IDE.

And: Should there not be a default dialog for such cases in the Mac OS -
similar to  asking for an administrator keyword when installing new
software from a CD?

I tried to the same with my wife's iBook - same results: When starting
the MC IDE (2.6.5 in this case) the icon briefly flashes in the dock and
then nothing. However, a standalone built on my G4 can be started on her
machine without problems.

Any further ideas?

Thanks for the response anyway.

--