Double tools stack and LookAndFeel

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Thu Jan 12 16:38:56 CST 2006

As  I temporarily do not access the Metacard list on a regular basis
(due to other urgent predelictions) I noticed that a post I sent two
weeks ago did not reach the list because of a typo in the address. I
will try to change my presents habits.

Meanwhile I want to thank Richard Gaskin for the new version of the MC IDE.

I hope the list members and especially Jacqueline - to who I refer -
will excuse to receive my belated insights only now.

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005, "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:

1. "Double" mctools stack:

> This is not limited to just the tools stack, it can happen to any stack.
> And it's been going on ever since I began using MC. I wrote to Scott
> Raney about it once, and now I can't find his answer, but basically it
> is just a cosmetic issue that means nothing. He said to ignore it.

The apparent problem is produced by some sort of an inaccuracy of the
"stacks()" function: It lists only mainstacks, but for each opened
*substack* of a given mainstack - for some reason that escapes me - the
full path of the mainstack and the mainstack is listed again. With
Message Box, Navigator, and Standalone Builder open the mctools stack is
listed four times.
The "Windows Task-Manager" shows that only *one* instance of the
Metacard Menu Bar is active.

Function "mainstacks()" accurately displays a list of all open
mainstacks without repetitions.

For opened substacks we need "openstacks()" which displays mainstacks
*and* substacks side by side without repetitions.

Seems to me the "stacks()" function needs some overhauling.

2. LookandFeel:

> standalone
> Same
>
> It is my understanding that look and feel is a session-specific property
> that is never built into the standalone or into a stack. (I can't
> explain why an older version of the engine would retain this property,
> though.) Look and feel must be set in a preOpenStack handler if you want
> to implement something different than the native OS appearance. It isn't
> meant to be a permanent property, so I don't think this is a bug.
>
> -- Jacqueline Landman Gay

Actually, all engine versions prior to 2.6 (from 2.5 and backwards)
preserved the lookandfeel applied or automatically set in the IDE. As I
see it, this is the way as it should be when I design the appearance of
an application. Why should the engine (or for that matter the Standalone
Builder) enforce a different appearance?
Of course you can set the lookandfeel in an (pre)openstack handler -
this works - , but I would like "to get what I see" when I work in the
IDE without the necessity to script what I see all the time when
developing.

Maybe we could improve the MC Standalone Builder as a workaround (until
maybe the engine has reverted to older standards in this case, which
however seems rather improbable to me) with a function that looks for
the presently applied lookandfeel and sets this as a property of a
standalone.
Another related issue: We lack an "Appearance Manager" option in the
Preferences substack.

Regards,

Wilhelm Sanke