Rev licensing

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Feb 20 19:42:45 CST 2006

Alain Farmer wrote:
> Naturally, we are trying to 'hide' the xCard
> origins of our custom solutions when releasing wares.
> Solutions crafted with C++, for example, don't advert
> the tools that they were edited and compiled with!

No one writes complete applications entirely from scratch, relying on
many libraries and pre-defined classes.  If you used the custom
libraries included with MPW, Lightspeed C, THINK C, CodeWarrior, or
Cocoa, you'd know that all of them require the addition of something
like this in the About box:

     Portions Copyright 2006 Metrowerks Inc.

Ever since I started using MetaCard in 1997 Dr. Raney required:

     This product was made with MetaCard
     Portions Copyright 2006 MetaCard Corporation

(Of course the date there is just an example.)

Today All RunRev requires is (last I heard anyway):

     This product was made with Revolution
     Portions Copyright 2006 Runtime Revolution Ltd.

I see nothing "natural" about choosing a tool and then being ashamed of
your own choice.

If you don't like using a particular tool, you may find another more to
your liking.

A vendor has a legitimate right to request a simple copyright notice in
exchange for accomplishing the other 90% of your application.  You're
always welcome to crack open GCC and write that other 90% yourself.

metacard at lists.runrev.com is not Kevin's address.
Kevin's address is kevin at runrev.com

  Managing Editor, revJournal