MC 2.7 building standalone

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Fri Feb 17 15:49:26 CST 2006

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:

> (snip)
> As of version 2.7 it is important to note that you can't build
> standalones out of the engine that runs the IDE. Conversely, you can't
> run any external stacks using a standalone as a "player". So it is
> important to choose the "standalone" version of the app engine when
> making a standalone, as that is the only one that will work.
>
> -- Jacqueline Landman Gay

Jacqueline,

your second sentence above

"Conversely, you can't run any external stacks using a standalone as a
"player"

could be somewhat misleading. You surely intended to say "using *the*
standalone file needed to build standalones".
As I was a bit confused at first and to make sure you wanted to express
the latter, I made a new standalone with 2.7 of my vintage "MC-Player"
(something like Ken Ray's "stackrunner" for running MC and Rev stacks,
but without net options - available since two years from my website
<http://www.sanke.org/MetaMedia>).

The updated Player for 2.7 stacks was compiled succesfully and works. I
will add  it to my website.

But there is more to the 2.7 "standalone file" needed to build
standalones, at least on Windows:

Rename file "standalone" to "Standalone.exe", and then you can
drag-and-drop mc-files on it, which will be opened. You can even again
rename "Standalone.exe" to another filename like "Player.exe" and it
will work, too.

Kind regards,

Wilhelm Sanke