metacard Digest, Vol 35, Issue 29

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Aug 31 23:00:42 CDT 2006

Recently, FlexibleLearning at aol.com wrote:

> Does anyone you know the incantation to make a gif image with transparency say
> 30% darker then back again? This is for icons and a mouseOver that currently
> require two images, so two times the memory. Is there a method? The solution
> has to be cross-platform, so nifty MacOS-only ink tweaks isn't an option.

Well, inks effects became crossplatform as of version 2.7.  But regardless,
there is the blendLevel property for images (and any object in v2.7) that
would allow you to make images less opaque (to reveal a darker color
underneath?).  Or start out with semi-transparent icons and make them fully
opaque upon mouseEnter.  I think dynamically affecting the imageData of the
images might be overkill for your situation and perhaps not fast enough.

I would ask first though, do your icons really take up that much memory?

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design