Displaying Stacks in Browsers

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Tue Aug 29 02:42:40 CDT 2006

Just a few comments on the Flash Player.

On 29 Aug 2006, at 01:08, Alain Farmer wrote:

>> 3. Consider Flash: It's already pre-installed
>> on most systems, and can be used to make some
>> great UIs.
>
> It's a good choice when plugins are an option. Flash
> can make some pretty *flashy* stuff. :) It is not an
> xCard, and it has a steep learning curve, and it is
> commercial software that you gotta purchase in order
> to author your Flash content, but... it's now and it
> works, and its plugin is bundled with many browsers,
> so.. go for it!  :)

Adobe/Macromedia have a product named Flex which can produce swf
files for playback by the Flash player. This is quite a different
development environment from Flash. For example, there's no timeline.
While it's not an xTalk/xCard by my definition, it is built around
the placing and scripting of visual components. (Scripting is in
ActionScript = JavaScript). There is even a "viewstack" component
that lets you implement what might be considered the equivalent of
cards.

I think until recently, Flex was a *very* expensive product, intended
for enterprise customers only, and needing a particular server-side
component. With version 2, there is now a free compiler-only version,
and a $500 or so development version (named Flex Builder) built on
top of Eclipse. There are no server-side reqirements beyond a
standard web server.  The marketing blurb describes it as suitable
for RIAs (Rich Internet Applications), and not flashy-stuff. :-).

Sorry if I'm sounding like an Adobe spokesperson (too late??). But I
think it's an interesting product, and right now, it's the only thing
I see that lets me put in a browser what I would normally make in a
standalone with Rev.

Cheers
Dave