Revzilla, Metacard and Hypercard

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Sun Aug 27 14:49:28 CDT 2006

>Ok, maybe not ANY copy of MC ;-)
>
>Sorry, I thought by now you'd be at least at MC 2.5 if not MC 2.6 <grin>;
>the earliest version of MC I have handy is 2.5.1 and it opens fine there.
>

>Ken Ray
>Sons of Thunder Software

As stated previously, when I update, be it software or hardware, it
is most always a Lunar Landing :-)  A GIANT leap forward.

We did try, though :-)

I remember the switch from Hypercard to Metacard.  Everybody talked
about how smoothly their stacks imported.  Mine did not import
smoothly.  Half the code used soundchannels, addColor calls, and I
don't remember what else.  Oh yes... everything was stored in the
Resource Fork and I wanted to make the new creations cross platform.
So I had to convert all the sounds and images to .wav and .jpg and
.gif files, and rewrite all that code accordingly.  All the resource
Ask and Answer dialogs had to be redone.  A whole new way of handling
icons.  Oh... and I was accustomed to the Hypercard standalones
having the ability to save to itself.  So every handler that involved
saving data had to be rewritten to save to an external file as well
as creating globals for the changing data.   And I extensively used
XCMD's for various things, which had to be eliminated for cross
platform use and a new way to implement those functions found.  There
were changes in how the menus were handled as well.

Nope, those were not simple transitions.  They were total rewrites.
That is why I did not move most of those programs forward :-/

I am hoping that the transition from my old Metacard to Rev is not
quite as Lunar :-D

Shari
--
Mac and Windows shareware games