Let me be WRONG!

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Sun Aug 20 22:45:12 CDT 2006

>I haven't looked at the sales end of it for a long time, but are you
>sure you really need Enterprise? It's cheaper just to buy Studio
>with an add-on for Windows builds.

I know there are cheaper options.  They all mean downgrading from
what I am accustomed to.

They prevent me from actually working on the other computer to iron
out platform bugs.  I've encountered many visual bugs with gaming.
Colors.  Even just the way a button looks on different platforms can
really affect a lot in a game.  Options buttons are a bugger and I
use them a lot.  I actually had to tell the program to operate as if
on a Mac to solve some of the option button issues.  Quicktime
issues.  Ironing out installation issues.  Aliases and shortcut
issues.  Creating files outside the folder issues.  Registration
issues.  Not being able to actually fix those or figure them out at
the source...

I always try to fix things on my computer first.  Usually I can.  But
sometimes a thing is just insidious and I end up at the other
computer.  I hate working over there but sometimes it just can't be
helped.  I REALLY hate using his keyboard!

Compiling is another biggie.  Sheesh!  I remember trying to build OSX
standalones without having OSX.  You were there... I remember how
hard you and Ken tried to help me with it.

They worked, but were buggy as all get out.  I never got the icon
right.  People were ending up with Metacard icons or generic app
icons or something.  Not a very professional looking result.  Even
though I can compile for Windows on my Mac, after the OSX debaucle I
don't do it.   I won't touch Macintel until I have both the computer
and compiler to work on it, test on it, and build standalones on it.
I've been saving for almost a year for this :-)

I am REALLY hoping their wording is just off regarding the upgrade
thing.  Maybe they meant that if you had a current version of MC,
which I think had free upgrades included before RunRev, they would
allow you upgrades for a year?  I am hoping this is what they meant.
And not that the program key would actually expire.  Surely I
misunderstood that?  I read it and read it and read it again.  I've
misunderstood them before.  Surely this is just a ticky thing in
wording?  Maybe my eyeballs are buggy?  I do have to squint a lot...

$299 Metacard to Enterprise Crossgrade:

Move your existing MetaCard license to the Enterprise version of
Revolution. This license runs with immediate effect until a year
after the end of your existing license.
<<

Every time I read it, it sounds like the license actually expires.
As if it is an elongated trial period.  As in reverting to a trial
version or something.  And the upgrade fee for Enterprise is $499.
So I am assuming I would pay $299 now, and $499 in one year, to keep
the program running.  This is what I sincerely hope that I have
misunderstood.  I do not need free updates once I purchase.  But I do
need to know without question that the program will continue to run
in full version until I decide to upgrade, just as Metacard has, and
not go Poof.

This is what I am waiting for clarification on.  I cannot commit to a
$500 purchase in one year.  I've already committed to other things
next year.

Wish me luck.... I was REALLY excited about finally upgrading.  That
is THE REASON I bought the new computer, which left Sacramento days
ago and is on the road bouncing along toward me in a truck...
hopefully not bouncing TOO much...  To be able to properly compile
for Macintel.  Otherwise I'd just stick with Metacard and my old G3
as they are :-)

Please bring the Revolutionary Gods to come sprinkle magic dust over
my interpretations and send me off in a Happy Fairy Dance.

Let me be WRONG!  Let me be WRONG!  I want to be WRONG!

:-)
Shari

--
Mac and Windows shareware games