ColorizeScript challenge

Tereza Snyder tereza at califex.com
Thu Apr 27 01:43:25 CDT 2006

On Apr 26, 2006, at 7:03 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

I got involved a bit yesterday too, and I found myself concentrating
on the comments:

>>  put offset("#",tLine) into tOff1
>>     put offset("--",tLine) into tOff2
>>     if tOff1 > 0 or tOff2 > 0 then
>>       if tOff1 = 0 then
>>         put tOff2 into tOff1
>>       else if tOff2 = 0 then
>>         put tOff1 into tOff2
>>       end if
>>       put char min(tOff1,tOff2) to -1 of tLine into tComment
>>       delete char min(tOff1,tOff2) to -1 of tLine
>>     else
>>       put empty into tComment
>>     end if

Did you know that "//" is a valid comment marker, too? Around 1997, I
was grousing to Scott Raney about switching back and forth between C+
+ and MetaCard. He snuck the "//" comments in the next update where I
discovered it by the usual accident.... no longer an error!

I gave up my comment fiddling - I'm under some project pressure - but
I was testing by colorizing my test script, where I found that "--"
and "#" in quotes were a real problem. Which of course brings up the
whole issue of quoted strings containing keywords....

Tereza Snyder

    Califex Software, Inc.
    800 Water Street
    Sauk City, WI 53583