[ANN] A place to discuss all xTalk issues

Curry curry at pair.com
Mon Apr 10 06:59:36 CDT 2006

This is to announce a new discussion list where all xTalk issues can
be discussed--it's not limited by the particular xTalk product (or
the xTalk concept in general), although discussions of particular
product(s) are welcome; nor is it limited by the topic area discussed
(as long as it's relevant to xTalk), so that it may provide a place
for some discussions that do not fit well into existing lists.

It's also designated as a place where people can speak freely,
including (polite) discussions that might be less welcomed on other
xTalk-related lists for various reasons, such as considerations
resulting from the list being related to a particular product, or
resulting from the topic focus or discussion habits of a more general
list. Thus, there are few obstacles to a free and objective
discussion.

(To be clear, I'm not talking about something obscene or illegal, or
overly impolite or off topic, which certainly will not be welcome
here either.)

Why am I doing this? Half of the reason is because as an xTalk fan,
having been on related lists for some years, and want to encourage
discussions on xTalk and xCard products, including some discussions
that do not fit into the focus of existing lists. It would be a shame
for these discussions not to happen for lack of a suitable forum, so
here it is, if needed. I also remember many interesting discussions
of xTalk in past years in various lists, and want to encourage more
of the same, in a forum with a sufficiently broad focus to include
all such relevant issues, ideas, viewpoints, suggestions,
experiences, debates, information, collaboration, assistance, etc.

The other half of the reason is that sometimes there's the need for a
place to truly speak freely, where different views are welcome, and
there is not a sense of having to hold back from speaking out because
of secondary considerations, whether that's discouraging controversy
because a list is also a PR channel, or keeping a particular product
in mind, or simply not quite fitting into the discussion habits of a
list. In my view, when discussing an issue, such secondary
considerations can sometimes get in the way of truly examining the
issue. For those times or topics, I hope this list can again provide
a useful place when needed. (Not that it's a place for flame wars;
this is for civil and logical discussion, but otherwise a place to
speak freely, focusing on the issue more than other considerations.
Yes, this has actually been an issue in some xTalk-related
discussions, so this is a response to those situations, too.)

And so, I am taking this opportunity to offer a new list where all
discussions related to xTalk are welcome. I call it xDiscussion.

This should not be considered a replacement for existing lists, of
course, but rather a resource for additional discussions including
those that do not fit in well in existing lists, as well as a place
where xTalk in general can be discussed thoroughly and
enthusiastically, and nothing xTalk-related is off-topic.

If using the proper list for a discussion is like using the proper
tool for a job, then this is a tool for some jobs that could be
difficult otherwise, as well as a place for all sorts of workers to
hang out together, as long as they're working within the big xTalk
area. :-)

Anyway, it's there if you need it, and I offer it in the hope that it
helps people using xCard products as well as the general cause of
xTalk.

(List moderators can also feel free to recommend it when it seems
appropriate for a discussion on their lists, such as off-topic to
their particular lists, but on-xTalk.)

If there is a need for such discussions and the list grows, I will
try to encourage it as a place for complete, free, thoughtful,
polite, diverse, and fair discussions. All are welcome.

Here it is:

"xDiscussion is a place to freely discuss xTalk and xCard products,
issues, ideas, suggestions, experiences, problems, etc. These include
HyperCard and the products which followed it, including SuperCard,
Runtime Revolution, and others, as well as general concepts not tied
to a particular product. All xTalk related discussions are welcome.
Different points of view and even polite debate or controversy are
not discouraged. Speak freely. All relevant topic areas are also
welcome. Welcome to the xDiscussion!"

You can join either through web interface or e-mail command, and
single or digest mode is available.

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy