Need help on proxy with username and password

Tariel Gogoberidze tariel at mac.com
Wed Sep 14 14:54:36 CDT 2005

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Dave Cragg wrote:

>> I believe LibURL should be able to handle proxy which requires
>> username / password
>>
>> <http://support.runrev.com/resources/liburlrealdocs.html>
>>
>> I'm just short in time and if possible want to avoid trial and
>> error exchange with this client (I don't have proxy installed on
>> any of my computers and I hate to do this just for this case).  So,
>> if somebody has an example stack or handler to share I would really
>> appreciate this.
>
> You'll need to use the libUrlSetAuthCallback routine:
>
>     http://support.runrev.com/resources/
> liburlrealdocs.html#libUrlSetAuthCallback
>
> The entry at the above url has an example of a callback handler that
> will work for the *Basic* authentication scheme. It's not very
> elegant, using the standard ask dialog twice, first for user name and
> second for password. But that part can be easily changed to obtain
> the name and password.
>
> However, you'll need to check with the client what authentication
> schemes are supported. Not all corporates support the Basic scheme,
> and NTLM is common in Windows shops. If the person you ask does not
> have this information, it may be difficult to avoid the "trial and
> error exchange".

Right. After I posted my question I took a closer look at LibUrl
documentation and that's what I wrote yesterday to the client

-----
Hi Martin,

If your proxy is using so called "Basic authentication scheme" it
should be possible to "teach" CyberRat to deal with that.
If  NTLM or kerberos authentication scheme is used, it would be
difficult.

Do you know by chance which authentication scheme is used by your proxy
?

Another solution could be to edit  proxy settings to allow fixed IP
address CyberRat is using to pass without authentication.  Kind of
"trusted" IP address. But this is up to your network admin of course.
-------

Having extremely limited knowledge about proxy's in general and
authentication schemes in particular I'm not sure my second suggestion
was valid, but logically it should be possible to enter "trusted" IP
addresses in Proxy settings that would bypass authentication.

> I have a stack that implements Basic and NTLM proxy authentication.
> However, it uses a third party dll for the NTLM stuff, and I'll have
> to check with the author before distributing it. I'll get back to you
> on this.

That would be great. In case author has some objections about NTLM
stuff, this stack, even with NTLM support removed would be very
valuable and would speed me up a lot.

Thanks in advance
Tariel