Answer Dialog at ScreenLoc?

FlexibleLearning at aol.com FlexibleLearning at aol.com
Tue Sep 6 12:55:59 CDT 2005

Richard asked:

>Neither HIG specifies exactly where modal dialogs  should be placed
>(please pass me the URL if you find that -- I've come  up empty).  The
>closest thing we have is the Mac Classic HIG  comment on modal dialog
>placement:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/mac/HIGuidelines/HIGuidelines-117.htm

Here you are, Richard...

Link to window positioning OSX  HIG:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidel
ines/XHIGWindows/chapter_17_section_4.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000957-200009
61-BACFHDHE

"Positioning  Windows

"Whenever your application displays a window, you must decide  where to put
it and how big to make it. New document windows should open  horizontally
centered and should display as much of the document content as  possible. The top
of the document window should butt up against the menu bar (or  the application’
s toolbar, if one is open and positioned below the menu bar).  Subsequent
windows should open to the right 20 pixels and down 20 pixels. Make  sure that no
part of a new window overlaps with the Dock. For more information  about the
Dock, see “The Dock” (page 56). For nondocument windows, the  preference is
to open new windows horizontally centered as shown in Figure  13-17. The
vertical position should be visually centered: The distance from the  bottom of the
window to the top of the Dock (if it’s at the bottom of the  screen) should be
approximately twice the distance as that from the bottom of  the menu bar to
the top of the window. Subsequent windows are moved to the right  20 pixels
and down 20 pixels. Make sure that no part of a new window overlaps  with the
Dock."

/H