chmod osx 777?

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Mon Oct 17 13:52:11 CDT 2005

>>You need to not only change permissions (CHMOD 777) but also set
>>the group to www (CHOWN :www) . Otherwise, Apache (OSX's web
>>sharing) will refuse to serve those files.
>
>This was a change in Tiger, right? My Panther installation has those
>folders assigned to "system".
>
>--
>Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com
>HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com

Actually, I am talking Panther. It is possible that System works as
well since there are dependinces between these. www works for me for
sure.

One can use Activity Monitor to see under which name httpd processes
run. On mine the master is under root and all children under www.
Stock install of Panther 10.3.8 upgraded to 10.3.9.

The point was that changing only permissions is not enough. Apache
must also be one of the owners of the files to serve them.

Robert