Buggy debugger -- solved?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Nov 9 11:56:48 CST 2005

Alain Farmer wrote:
>>I just spent a big part of the day working on
>>the mc variable watcher and finishing some
>>workflow issues with my old mc script editor...
>>is there anyone still using Metacard?

You might want to check in with Ken about his work on the MC variable
watcher.  He's kindly assumed the role of "owner" of that component for
the MC IDE, and has been making significant advancements with it.

In general, posting a note here to the MC list is a good idea before
doing substantial work on the MC IDE, since that IDE is in ongoing
development by about half a dozen contributors.

> A 'better' question would be :
> is anyone still developing components for MetaCard?
> ;-)

While most of my devolution toolkit also works with Rev, everything in
devolution works in the MC IDE.   It has to, since that's where I and
most of my clients spend our days.

Most plugins work fine in either IDE, unless they make use of peripheral
libraries like the Geometry Manager or the Profile Manager.

Plugins are just stack files, so it's not hard at all to make them truly
universal.

> As for me, FreeGUI is definitely interested in the
> above. By definition, you could say, given that
> FreeGUI is/was a MetaCard-based GUI.

It's worth noting that Alain has generously released FreeGUI as open
source, so anyone interested in providing a more HyperCard-like
experience for Rev newcomers might consider exploring ways to enhance
FreeGUI.

  Managing Editor, revJournal