Unique numbers for discs

Thomas McCarthy tominjapan at excite.com
Sat May 28 20:36:13 EDT 2005

Shari et al.

I have successfully used Ken Ray's scripts to get unique serial numbers for any kind of disc--hard drive, floppy, CD. (mac and windows)

After spending a lot of time creating a registration code for CD's, I discovered that when a CD is copied (when a disc image is made) the serial number is also copied. So there went all my work.

Floppies would be better, but now even some windows machines don't have them!

In the past, I've written little text files somewhere in the user's system with their registration info on it. This is probably the best bet:

1. get the users hard disc serial number
2. encode it with their name..
3. write it to a file in the preferences folder

That means you need to have the user contact you with their disc number. (I see potential problems here)

Perhaps an easier way would be:
1. use the customer's email-address and name, etc to generate a code
2. write that to the file in the preferences folder.
3. display the user's name and email somewhere on the program window.

hope that helps
tom