Invisible folders on Windows: attempts at copy protection

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Sat May 28 12:53:27 EDT 2005

Hi Richmond,

> Har, Har, Har. . . Richmond fondly imagines that he can
> prevent pirating (this is especially goofy in Bulgaria
> which is world capital of pirate software): never mind,
> indulge me a moment, Please.
>
> I had a 'daft' idea of popping a .txt document containing
> some daft text (e.g. Happy Christmas) inside an invisible
> folder on a CD which a standalone can reference, so . . .
> when yer goofy pirater copies the executable it won't work
> because it cannot find the invisible folder and reference
> the .txt file.
>
> This will at least stop people copying from a CD onto a
> local drive - it won't prevent CD-copying and making image
> files.
>
> HOWEVER - I don't know how to make folders invisible on
> Windows.
>
> NOR - for that matter, do I know if MC/RR can 'see'
> invisible folders and their contents.
>
> Would be grateful for any wise words (or foolish ones, for
> that matter) on both INVISIBLE FOLDERS ON WINDOWS and
> whether MC/RR can reference files inside invisible folders.

you can use a shell command like:

get shell("attrib +H nameoffolder")

Which will make that folder invisble.
Use "-H" to make it visible again.

But remember that you can set to display even hidden files on windows!

At least i can see my hidden files here on my XP...
And i have no idea what i might have set and where ;-)

> Love, Richmond
> See Mathewson's software at:
>
> http://members.maclaunch.com/richmond/default.html

Best