Graphics

Karl Becker karl at karlbecker.com
Thu May 26 08:29:53 EDT 2005

On May 26, 2005, at 1:26 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Shari wrote:
>
>> Geez!  And I thought my game was bloated!
>>

> Whenever I start to feel bad about bloat-creep I just do a Get Info
> on any Apple app.
>
> The theory with shared frameworks is that by putting the 80% of an
> application that's generic into a common shared library, an app can
> be made more efficient.
>
> So what does this mean in real-world terms?
>
> In OS 9 the Calculator app was 8k.
> In OS X it's 3MB.
>
> In OS 9 the DVD Player was 468k.
> In OS X it's 13.8MB
>
> In OS 9 iTunes was 3.9MB
> In OS X it's 29.8MB

I know it's in fun, but do take a look at removing the extra
languages if you haven't already.  I'm guessing that will trim the
file size down some.
The language files exist for almost every language Apple supports -
it makes it easier for them to distribute one app that supports every
language than having a bunch of distributions and keeping track of
them all.

The price we pay for easier management by Apple is more space taken
up on our disks.. though there are programs that eliminate extra
languages automatically.

Shari, I wouldn't worry too much about your file size - I personally
think it's just fine, and probably smaller than many (like the game
we mentioned).

Cheers,
Karl