Graphics

Karl Becker karl at karlbecker.com
Thu May 26 00:40:00 EDT 2005

> It's crucial to keep it from getting any bigger, because people
> will download the smaller competitors first.  And only if they are
> unhappy will they finally download mine.  Most C-based games of
> this type are less than 1 MB stuffed.

Many shareware games are bigger than 1 MB stuffed nowadays, though,
especially if it's something that's costing a decent amount of money.

> I did a bit of research not long ago at various download sites.
> Comparing my download rates with some of the competition.  Even
> though my game had better screenshots, a better description, equal
> or better options, and an equal rating, it got less downloads.  The
> only explanation was size.

That's ignoring play, word of mouth, advertising, etc.  A company
like Freeverse will have a lot more pull from the get-go because
people know them and are at their website for other reasons/games
already.  With a smaller number of games offered (and a smaller
advertising budget), the playing field is not quite level.

> I tried my darndest to get the whole kaboodle to be less than 1 MB
> stuffed, but even with compressing all the graphics and whittling
> away at various things, it's 3.5 MB stuffed.

It's really impossible to get it smaller than 1MB.  My KTA Tennis app
zipped with Mac OS X 10.4 only shrinks to 1.1MB ... and that's not
including most of the artwork / sound assets.

> I had hoped for a solution that didn't involve thousands of
> additional objects :-(

I would like to know if this speeds up game execution a lot, so let
us know if you try to implement it.

Also, can animated gifs be used as icons on buttons, or just static
images?

Cheers,
Karl