MC 2.4.3 & Tiger problems

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Wed May 18 16:49:56 EDT 2005

Hi Karl,

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have been developing in MetaCard 2.4.3 for a long time.  I've
> stayed at 2.4.3 for a number of reasons, primarily that it's the
> last version supported under my most recent license!  I have also
> stuck with it, though, since it seems to have less overhead and
> runs my games faster than Revolution.  Am I dreaming, or does
> MetaCard actually run things faster than Revolution?

It does, simply because it does not have the overhead of several BIG
front- and backscripts like Rev.
e.g. the 3000 lines "table object" script...

> 2.4.3 appears to not be completely Mac OS X Tiger 10.4 compatible.
> Moving a stack by the title bar causes the window to automatically
> resize and move its contents willy-nilly.  Example:
>
> Before resize:  http://www.karlbecker.com/before.jpg
> After resize bug:  http://www.karlbecker.com/after.jpg

Ouch, very, very strange indeed :-/

> It only happens with certain stacks, but I can't determine the
> pattern.  Small palette windows like the one shown do it, but the
> MC Tools palette doesn't.  A very basic stack I created a couple
> months ago has the problem, but the MC Home stack is immune.  It
> doesn't matter if the resize corner is present or not.
> Suggestions?

Sorry, no idea, never seen something like this before...

> Do new versions of MetaCard / Revolution run just as fast as 2.4.3?

I'd say: yes

> The programs I create - video games - need all the speed they can
> get.  I'm already pushing the limits of MetaCard's fluidity, and I
> want to eke out whatever I can speed-wise.
>
> Cheers,
> Karl

Sorry for not being able to help you in this case...

Best from germany

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de
http://www.major-k.de