Animated GIFS

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri Mar 18 12:45:07 EST 2005

Recently, Chipp Walters  wrote:

> Set the repeatcount of img "test.gif" to -1
>
> Will keep it from repeating

Actually, a repeatCount of -1 will make it repeat forever. :-)

Use a value of 0 to prevent repeating, but I think Shari's question was
about using system resources.  AFAIK, unless you set the bufferHiddenImages
to true, memory is not used to display hidden images.  I did some tests with
this same question about a year ago or so and found that hidden animated
GIFs don't appear to occupy any CPU time.

In fact I just checked it now and even with bufferHiddenImages set to true,
a hidden animated GIF appears to use no CPU time.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design