non existing word found by MC

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Fri Mar 18 16:10:36 EST 2005

I just discovered a truly bizarre glitch that it took me loooong time
to nail down. It was just something so unexpected that I kept
overlooking it.

I have a text that is dynamically assembled from extracting data from
database queries. At the end, I check whether anywhere along the way
a SQL error was reported. When that happens, the error message is in
the output string, so I simply do

if "error" is among words of lst then

which gives me a false positive in 1 case (no problem for 95 other
cases). Really unbelievable but if I look at the text itself, there
is NO 'error' in it. I confirm this direct observation by

answer wordOffset("error",lst) & slash & (the number of words of lst)

I get: 17/15

This is with 2.6.1 engine (OS9). For now, I supplemented my test to
skip over this bogus result if word offset is bigger than number of
words, but this should not be happening.

Has anyone seen anything like this? It surely looks that engine is
checking beyond the string boundary.

Robert Brenstein