strange pulldown menus

Tariel Gogoberidze tariel at mac.com
Fri Jun 24 17:43:07 EDT 2005

Recently, Scott Rossi  wrote:

>>> Confirmed on my end (OSX).  And I guess the weird "menu button contents
>>> greater than x number of lines" bug is screwing up the Go pulldown menu as
>>> well.  Bummer.
>>
>> Sorry for late comment, I'm just catching up with digest, but it's not a
>> bug, it's characters in a button limit of uint2 = 65,535 bytes (16 bits/64
>> KB).
>
> Nope, it's a bug.  It affects menus that span more than roughly 30 items or
> so (not sure of the exact number).  Many other folks have confirmed it as
> well.
>
> Regards,
> Scott Rossi

Interesting. I do know for sure that because of uint2 limit, buttons can't
hold and thus display (if it's style is "option" or "pulldown") more than
65,535 chars.

That was the case in the example script that Klaus posted.

However, I can't replicate "greater than x number of lines"  bug in pulldown
menu.

In this script (stack with just two buttons)

on mouseUp
  repeat with j=1 to 300
    put "on handler"&j&cr&"put 2+2 into tCount"&cr&\
        "end handler"&j& cr &cr after tScriptSample
  end repeat
  set the script of button 2 to tScriptSample
  edit script of button 2
end mouseUp

The "Go" pulldown menu in the script of button 2 shows all 300 lines on OS
10.3.8 and on OS 9.

I must be missing something here and I'm very curious to replicate this bug.

best regards
Tariel