Revised Statement

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jun 2 11:11:14 EDT 2005

Mathewson wrote:
> I was lucky enough to benefit from the fact that up to
> version 2.0.1, Runtime Revolution was available as a free
> download that could be used in a relatively unrestricted
> way without having to pay for it. This option disappeared
> with the release of version 2.0.3, when revolution took a
> commercial route.

All xTalks have always been commercial, including MetaCard.

The only change RunRev made was in the form of the demo mode: rather
than an unlimited time with a limit of ten script lines, they went to
unlimited scripts with a time limit.

If anything, by providing lower-cost options from MetaCard's US$995-only
policy, RunRev has made the engine more accessible to a wider range of
potential customers.

> As I have never earned any income from
> the widgets I developed, this move unfortunately became a
> major obstacle to the development of widgets.

And yet you have a license, which as I recall from an earlier post was
paid for by the organization benefitting from your good work.

This seems appropriate:  those who derive value give something of value
back.  The purchaser gets your powerful stuff, you have a license, and
RunRev has a couple bucks in the kitty to keep working on the engine.
Win, win, win for all.

Various forms of this email get posted with some regularity -- what is
the purpose of these?

I recall a recent post from you about protecting your work from being
copied -- is it so unreasonable that your interest in being paid be
shared by the keepers of the engine?