embedding objects in scrolling fields & adolescents

Jeffrey Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Thu Jul 7 13:11:29 CDT 2005

Richmond,

Sounds like we have had the same background/experiences with
multimedia interfaces/content presentations with kids!

The really really important thing I have found with the kids in an
educational setting is that if they have a mission they do sooo much
better interacting with multimedia rather than just having them
'study' the material in the app.

This means really well thought out activities and projects that they
must do research utilizing the multimedia content app. yes they do
spend the first 10-15 minutes wildly thrashing about, but then (if
the assignment/projects are creative and interesting enoough or their
fear of a bad grade is strong enough) they settle down to
systematically looking for the content they want/need for their project.

this then requires the design of the multimedia content to be more
organized, indexed and cross referenced rather that the larger fields
with embedded multimedia content. it also means the app needs to
allow the kids to export stuff they need and also place bookmarks and
notes in the content so they can come back over multiple sessions to
get back to where they were and what they were  doing.

unfortunately, in my experience, the  activities that go along with
most multimedia  projects are usually the  afterthought and xeroxes
of other traditional materials and rarely designed specifically for
the product. i try and get the clients to actually design the two
hand in hand so all the content is also developed to work well with
the activities and even the functions of the app are exactly what are
needed for the actviites to be done.

love to discuss these thoughts with you offlist more if you are
interested!

cheers,

jeff